5 Steps to Safe Digging
- Call 8-1-1 or visit elocate.missdig811.org at least three working days before digging to request underground utility lines be marked. The call and Service are free.
- Wait for utilities to be marked. Natural gas lines are marked with yellow stakes, flags or paint.
- Avoid digging near marks. Before using power equipment within 4 feet of marked lines, hand dig to expose the pipe. If you have difficulty finding the pipe within 18 inches of marks, contact MISS DIG 811.
- Respect the marks. Be aware of all underground utility marks and other gas facilities such as valve boxes and regular boxes. Do not place construction materials or equipment downriggers over marks.
- Call if you make contact with underground lines. If you hit or nick a pipeline while digging, stop and call Consumers Energy immediately.
Did you know?
If you see an excavation site or someone digging with no utility markings and believe utility lines exist in the area, call MISS DIG AT 8-1-1 to place a No Marks Ticket.
If you are a Consumers Energy customer, you can call 9-1-1 and 800-477-5050 for help with a natural gas emergency.